Monday, December 27, 2010

Read Along Time!

I love taking a fresh look at old classics, the kind that every English teacher has assigned at least once. As a historian I try to think about the atmosphere that it was made in, was there war, a cultural revolution, or did it take place in a nice quiet little countryside where politics didn't matter as much. The point is, no book was written inside of a bubble. Readers don't exist in that bubble either. Books that were once considered fantastic, can now seem a bit stiff as the times and readers change.

This year I'd like to try something new. I've planned to read some of the old classic books written by women, one each month. I will include my own thoughts and ideas about the book, both how it was viewed then and now. What I'd really like to add to it, is other peoples opinions.

Before the first of every month I will announce that month's book. Even if you haven't read the book before I'd like to know what your thoughts about it are right now. Anyone with a little extra time this month, or later if you'd like, is asked to join in my monthly read and help me in reviewing the book at the end of the month.

I am grateful to anyone who decides to take up this challenge one of the months, or all twelve! Right now my list includes Jane Austen, all three of the Bronte sisters and Louisa May Alcott. Write to me and let me know if there are other books written by females from that time period that you think I should be including.

Don't worry, I'm not completely sexist, next year I would like to do the same for male authors. It's just that I am being polite, which means that ladies come first!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun, thanks for including that last paragraph about male authors. The whole time I was reading this, I was thinking, "what up with the women?" My problem will be finishing the book in the month it's designated. I always have about 20 books on my "to-read" list so I might not get to January's book until mid-April. But I can try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about the to-read list. I finally mapped mine out by month and hope to get all of it done, 55 books total for this year! I'm way OCD about some things. Don't worry if you don't finish in time for any of them, I'm just very curious to get other people's views on some of the classic books. A lately tried one that all of my friends loved and I HATED it. It was hard to tell them the truth when it touches such a huge part of their hearts. That's what made me think of this. I like the truth from others, even if I don't see it the same way.

    ReplyDelete