Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Call Me Crazy

I do a lot of crazy things.  The one that gains shock from others is when I tell them that the most relaxing thing in my life is cross stitch.  It is even better than hot cocoa and purring kittens although it does go well with both nearby.

There is something so renewing about taking a pattern, a needle, colored thread and a white cloth and turning it into a piece of art.  It is very methodical and while my mind often wanders it is frequently forced back to the careful task of making each stitch perfect.  There isn't much need for a good imagination, although I think it does help. 

Maybe this says something about the way my brain works (or doesn't).  Maybe this is a proof that I am crazy but sometimes I wonder if the world wouldn't be just a bit more relaxed if everyone could enjoy a bit of cross stitch.

3 comments:

  1. Cross-stitch is awesome. I'm not ashamed to say I'm one of the few males that participates in this activity. Or at least I used to when I had more free time. My last one was P-51 Mustang WWII fighter plane. Just because you're doing a female-dominated activity doesn't mean the project has to be the same.

    I would compare it to solving a crossword or Sudoku puzzle. It stimulates brain activity and provides past-time. The bonus is you have this cool product of your labor when you're done. You should have posted a picture of your work on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your analogies with cross word puzzles and the like. Yes my favorite part is when there is a wonderful product at the end instead of just a book with scribbles tat you throw away.

    I always forget somehow that you aren't linked up with Kris on facebook. That's where he posts pictures all the time of his culinary adventures and odd bits of our family. (Like his blog but on facebook he actually does updates!) He recently posted a picture of one of my cross stitch works in progress that he commissioned. This weekend when I have a bit of time I'll do a post of some of my updates for you. Let me know if you have a pic of your plane somewhere so that I can check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really will start blogging again one of these days. There's a trip to Arizona I want to do first but I'll make my "crafty" one next on the list.

    ReplyDelete