Sunday, January 23, 2011

Book Review-The Greatest Lover In All England

Christina Dodd
The Greatest Lover in All England
A historical romance novel

This was my first taste of Christina Dodd's writing. Somehow I've just never picked up any of her books before. The title, although a bit presumptuous, had me intrigued. I thought about all of the pressures that such a nick name would come with and I wish that the novel had gone in that direction. Instead, without ever explaining why he deserved the title, it was the hero's nickname of sorts. Even the back of the book sounded great; an actress pretending to be a boy so that she could play men's parts in the theater. When she gets caught by the hero she must play the difficult part of his wife, in an arranged marriage.

I've heard it before: don't judge a book by it's cover. I really should have taken that advice. There was no arranged marriage, it was like the blurb writer had read two pages and assumed the rest. There wasn't even a marriage, until the very end of the book and well after they had fallen in love.

For me the characters lacked depth and understanding. I couldn't relate with either one of them. The worst for me was how he had groped her a couple of times and so his hand kept forming itself into the shape of her breast and...ahem. I get what Dodd was trying to show, obsession, I just felt that it was creepy. The side stories were too long, but somewhat amusing.

As far as a fun quick read, this book wasn't that bad. There was fighting, romance, mystery, and a few other themes thrown in. I've heard so many good things about Christina Dodd. Hopefully the next one of her's that I try will live up to the hype.

3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment