Thursday, January 20, 2011

Movie Review-Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
I was shocked that I didn't love this movie. Everything about it screamed what a classic it would be and the opening number seemed to set it up perfectly, plus I love musicals, Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell. Most of it was delightful in a fun but fluffy sort of way. The main problem is that I think I look for more than fluff in movies lately, especially the ones that are considered to be such classics. I want something timeless or at least touching. Maybe part of the problem was that I didn't care about most of the plot points and what their conclusions would be. I was just along for the ride. So my main complaint was that it didn't engage me to the level that I expected it to. Don't get me wrong, the movie was good, I laughed a bit. The little boy was wonderful. But I don't have any impulse to watch it again. I guess that re-watch value is huge with me.
3/5
A trailer can be found here.

2 comments:

  1. My knowledge about Marilyn Monroe begins and ends with her marriage to baseball icon and former New York Yankee centerfielder Joe DiMaggio. She came home from USO tour one time and breathlessly told Joe, "There were 60,000 screaming men. You've never heard nothing like it." To which her husband replied, "Yes I have."

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is much more to know, I just wouldn't start with this one. If you want to know what she is really all about, watch Some Like It Hot. She is great in that one.

    ReplyDelete